Thursday, April 1, 2010

"Why didn't you just carry them and wear sneakers like everyone else?" -Steve to Miranda, Sex and the City

"Miranda : I had to walk all the way from the subway in these heels. My feet are killing me.
Steve : Why didn't you just carry them and wear sneakers like everyone else?
Miranda : Stop. You can take me out of Manhattan but you can't take me out of my shoes."

Every morning when I drive to work I pass by a metro station, so I see a lot of people walking from the surrounding areas to catch a train into the city. In the midst of all the people, there is one common thing in women....sneakers and skirts.

NEWSFLASH: This combo will NEVER, EVER look cute together! Case in point below:



I understand wanting to wear comfortable shoes to make it to the metro and then walk the 8 blocks to your office building without being late, but there are TONS of cute, comfortable flats or walking shoes you can wear that will not make you a Fashion "Don't."

Start with a few simple tips:
1. NO WHITE CROSSTRAINERS
2. If you are wearing a skirt or a dress, for the sake of you looking good, wear flats!
3. NO WHITE CROSSTRAINERS
Get the point?

I know what your thinking, you don't care because your comfortable on your walk to/from work. Think again- I seriously CRINGE when I see this combo- espically when the woman is wearing white tube socks with them. HELLO, Jane Fonda called- she wants her look back.

If you MUST wear a sneaker since it offers more support, try a dark fashion sneaker (think Puma styles- yes, I know the picture above is a Puma sneaker, but it is bright white- a big no no) instead of wearing an all out sneaker. Wear with a pair of short athletic socks so they do not show over the shoe. Consider wearing more pants since the shoe will not be as noticable.

You can never go wrong with a cute flat or sandal for warmer weather. Since flats are so in right now, they have them everywhere! Just be sure to try them on, because flats can pinch your pinky toes. DSW Shoe Warehouse has some really cute ones and occasionally you can find a cute comfortable shoe at Aerosoles (that doesn't look like your Grandma) which will work for your daily walking commute.

XOXO

1 comment:

  1. I work as a personal trainer at a gym and see this crime committed way to often. I also work in an office and am able to naviagte the cobblestone sidewalks of Boston in heels; come on ladies have some self respect!

    ReplyDelete